Saturday, October 21, 2006

Horrible week.

Phew, this was a horrible week.

Really.

First, I had to boot our old SGI Octane machine because a customer wanted a new release of an CAD Model analysis tool we wrote. Thanks god it booted. And, thanks god again I didn't threw that pile of old, heavy, bulk and green hardware on the junkyard. Pure laziness, oh my.

Actually the recompile of our internal C based libs ran very smooth, and the python part of the program ran immediately. Testing took some time, though. That machine is no speed demon, thus analyzing a mere 24MiB worth of 3d CAD data took well over an hour. It produced tons of trace, using my hackery of sys.settrace() and my C tracing library. Well, I shipped it.

Then another customer filled their trac with tickets, all assigned to me. They're using a web application we wrote using Plone as an base to manage CAD drawings. They have lots of CAD drawings. Unfortunately they use Plone 2.1.1, which we migrated to from 2.0.5, which would well be worth a story of its own. Plone 2.1.1 seems to be a bad performer. We ran the profiling tools and killed the performance hogs, which turned out to have nothing to do with my application at all. Now they report that the command line tools I wrote to post/update/revoke drawings, which follow some sort of meta work flow on their own, does not delete drawings which became invalid. Oh well. Of course, on my test system the stuff works. Grrr.

On top of that I try to wrap my head around the new (?) and shiny (??) new python web application frameworks. Currently I'm investigating the possibilities of twisted, zope 3, turbogears and the new WSGI shipped with python 2.5. Much to learn. It seems I've missed most of the new development in that area which happened the last 1 1/2 years or so.

No comments: